Post Editorial: Meal plans should offer food over break

While many Ohio University students head home to gorge themselves on a Thanksgiving feast next week, those students on a meal plan who are staying behind for the break will hardly have the chance to indulge in such a meal.

During the break, Ohio University will close its three dining halls on the Athens campus, leaving only West 82 as an option for on-campus dining.

We understand most students will go home for the break and that keeping dining halls open for a small amount of remaining students simply isn’t cost effective.

But we think OU should offer a more bountiful on-campus dining option for students with a meal plan.

OU isn’t the only public university in the state closing its dining halls. Bowling Green’s and the majority of Miami University’s dining halls will be closed as well.

But when students enroll in a campus meal plan, they assume they will be able to eat in a dining hall when they are, well, on campus.

Students aren’t even given the option to use their meal swipes at West 82, forcing them to spend money they might not have on the overpriced grub on Baker University Center’s first floor, or somewhere on Court Street — after they already paid a minimum of $3,546 for the year for a Standard 10 meal plan.

Though we do applaud the university for serving a special Thanksgiving dinner with halal-friendly items, we believe it should go one step further by incorporating meal plans — Flex or not — into the week for those students who choose to stay on campus.

Because to offer barely any on-campus dining options during a holiday that is about coming together (and stuffing your face)?

That just doesn’t seem like it’s in the holiday spirit.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.