Sports Column: NCAA needs a College Football Playoff

The NCAA has messed everything up because it is greedy and selfish.

The College Football Playoff should start this year. This has brought more parity than any season in recent memory — wouldn’t we like to see that be played out on the field rather than on ballots and computers?

Clearly the NCAA could have instituted the playoff system years ago. It had the necessary resources and interest from around the country but declined because of the sponsorships and money received from bowl games.

This year’s matchups would be spectacular, namely No. 4 Baylor’s potent offense going up against No. 1 Alabama’s vaunted defense in a mix of two totally different styles of football. In the other game we’d have two perennially strong programs in No. 3 Ohio State and No. 2 Florida State.

Instead of looking at three potentially amazing games, we are looking at one where both teams, Alabama and Florida State, have been criticized for weak strength of schedule down the stretch. Why leave those questions hanging when you can settle it all on the field?

Given the current bowl tie-ins, we won’t even see a battle between Ohio State and Baylor. As a result, we could have three undefeated teams at the end of the year, each with legitimate arguments to claim the crystal ball.

I don’t think it’s fair that scheduling and preseason polls determine who has an opportunity to play for a national championship.

Instead, we have Alabama, which has remained atop the polls for the entire season — its main challenges being games against Texas A&M and LSU, both of which have faded from the top ten.

Then we have Florida State, which has blown the doors off everyone on its schedule, including a Clemson team that many thought was the best non-SEC team coming into this season.

Ohio State has stayed put at No. 3 or 4 since the first week of the season, but the lack of quality opponents in its conference has severely hampered its chances of improving in the polls.

Then we have a Baylor team that started outside of the top 25 to start the season. Its flashy, high-scoring offense has surely caught voters’ attention.

So, is it really fair for two of these teams to be watching the National Championship at home?

No, but it’s apparent to me that what the NCAA wants is controversy and a lack of a true resolution.

@Kovarandrew

ak840511@ohiou.edu

This article appeared in print under the headline "Sports Column: College Playoff needed this year"