The PHILosopher: Reminiscing proves a worthwhile investment

Apparently this Monday, and the bulk majority of Sunday, my mind felt like it would be a good idea to reflect on my college experience from my new senior perspective. Upon first review, this idea seemed to be about as fun as going into a midterm still tipsy from the night before. I figured that once my mind entered this splendid train of thought my social media profiles would be as much as of a train wreck as Miley Cyrus was during the MTV Video Music Awards.

Fortunately, the past 24 hours have provided me many lessons about friendships, college and life in general. I wish that technology would invent a way to go back in time and tell your younger self some of the things you learn along the way. I bet Apple would make something like that (except its battery life would be as poor as it is in all their damn products).

Freshman Phil could definitely have benefited from the older, wiser, usually more sophisticated Phil. Let’s start with academics.

Just because you are in the library doesn’t mean you are studying or hashtag on the grind. To this day, I avoid Alden just like I avoid Red Brick and the Smiling Skull (on a sidenote, the Smiling Skull should probably be avoided by anyone who doesn’t have at least five tattoos and a leather jacket). But simply being in Alden’s glorious presence does not a productive student make.

I am usually on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and looking into cool new ways to raise my blood alcohol content in record times. On one particular day, I discovered that you could actually buy a device that lets you inhale alcohol.

Doesn’t sound like the safest idea. Anyway, this newfound route to intoxication (read: hospitalization) is not really productive, so do what I do now which is find a place relatively quiet and actually get your work done.

Also, syllabus week … this is a filler week sponsored by Anheuser Busch and is completely optional. I haven’t attended one since Fall Quarter sophomore year and I have an overall GPA above three. No guilt should be felt when you skip SOC 1010 for a marathon of Adventure Time.

But I digress … some serious reflections come to mind as well.

I’ve come to the conclusion that college isn’t real life. Yes, we spend real money, breathe real air and have real experiences, but it’s definitely an alternative reality. My biggest piece of advice to younger Phil would be to make as many memories with the people who mean the most to you.

A key lesson that I learned this weekend during the mental walkthrough of my last four years is that friendships should be valued. Time is the most finite resource anyone can give you, and if they are attempting to spend it with you, then it’s probably a good idea to return the favor. I don’t like wasting time in line for Chipotle let alone feeling like my time isn’t valuable to someone. So cherish those friendships you have.

Reflection is good even though it can look scarier than a calculus final. Whenever you get a free moment, try it out for yourself. You might just learn something.

Phil Morehead is a senior studying health services administration and a columnist for The Post. What advice would you give your past self? Email him at pm189309@ohiou.edu.