Women's Basketball: Bobcats keep the ball rolling on the season's strong start with an overtime win

Bob Boldon said Ohio’s win Saturday satisfied him enough that he could actually enjoy his sandwich on the team’s trip back to Athens.

The Bobcats (2-0) got off to their best start since the 2006-07 season with a 64-56 overtime win against Morehead State on Saturday, which was the second time in as many years the matchup went to overtime.

“I thought (Morehead State) did a good job,” said Boldon, Ohio’s first-year coach. “They hung in there…we have an unselfish team. We just want to win.”

Heading into the game, talk surrounded the matchup between Ohio sophomore guard Kiyanna Black, who put up a career-high 35 points during the season-opener, and Morehead State senior guard Terrice Robinson, who entered the contest averaging 27.3 points per game.

But the high-scoring guards did not pace either team’s offense, as Black finished the game with nine points and Robinson scored just eight, despite scoring 39 points against Ohio last season.

Boldon said he was pleased that different players stepped up and took advantage of mismatches and scoring opportunities.

Sophomore forward Lexie Baldwin posted a career-high 19 points to go along with six rebounds, two blocks and two assists, and junior guard Mariah Byard also finished with double-digit points. She scored 12 points.

Morehead State’s leading scorer was junior guard Almesha Jones, who scored 12 points and added five assists.

However, turnovers were a major crutch to both teams, as they combined for 47, including 26 Ohio turnovers.

“We were battling some shooting woes and some turnover woes, but we never let that affect our defensive intensity, which I was happy with,” Boldon said.

Despite Ohio holding an 11-point lead with three minutes remaining in the first half, Morehead State came back in the second half and took a 48-46 lead with two minutes left in regulation, before Baldwin knocked down a pair of Ohio free throws to send the game to overtime.

With 3:18 left in overtime and the game tied at 52 apiece, Ohio went on a 12-4 run to close out its second victory of the season.

Saturday’s was the first game of Ohio’s tour of the Bluegrass State. The Bobcats will next play No. 4 Louisville on Thursday, which will be their second of six consecutive road contests.

“They’re really, really good,” Boldon said about the Cardinals. “We’ve got things we’ve gotta do. We’ll need to play without turning the ball over. We’re getting smarter.”

gh181212@ohiou.edu

@charliehatch_

This article appeared in print under the headline " ’Cats continue strong start with OT win"