Post Editorial: 'The Post' likes papers, data and volleyball

Readership Program

We think it’s obvious that we, as purveyors of daily newsprint, are fans of the sometimes-called “fading” fad of newspapers. We firmly believe that printing words and images onto dead trees is a vital and vibrant part of society. And, judging by the mostly empty newsstands in Baker Center, there’s at least a handful of people who agree.

So, two “hip, hip, hoorays!” to Student Senate for allocating the funds to make the New York Times, USA Today and The Columbus Dispatch available to thousands of Ohio University’s students, staff and assorted visitors. Please, keep it up.

Data Access

At The Post, we are pretty fond of data. We frequently fill out public record request forms and sift through databases of information.

If you check out Page 4 of our paper today, you will see that we aren’t the only data nerds on campus.

Ohio University employs six people in the Office of Institutional Research who are constantly going through data from sources such as the admissions office on campus all the way to the federal government.

We think allowing access to information such as this is imperative. We just hope that as a public institution, the university will allow uncensored access to its numbers, rather than keeping them to itself.

Volleyball

If there’s one Ohio team that has made us especially proud this fall, it’s the Bobcats volleyball squad, which secured a spot in the NCAA Tournament with a straight-set victory against Eastern Michigan in the Mid-American Conference title game Nov. 24.

It was announced Sunday night that Ohio will face Michigan State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday in Lexington, Ky. We urge you to tune in to the game — even if you haven’t made it out to The Convo to see one of the Bobcats’ nine home wins or otherwise kept track of their progress this season.

They have been consistently impressive, beating two of four ranked foes and losing only five games overall. Their MAC Tournament triumph marked the sixth time in program history they have won the conference’s regular season and tournament titles in the same year.

The best may be yet to come for this bunch of Bobcats — many of their top players have remaining years of eligibility — but this weekend’s NCAA Tournament play will surely be something for us Bobcats to write home about heading into the holidays.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.