Provided by Philip Sharp

PROJECT Trio will provide a unique musical experience for concert-goers on Wednesday

Bringing a new twist to classical music, PROJECT Trio will be performing Wednesday, breaking boundaries of instrumental music with bassist Peter Seymour, beat-boxing flutist Greg Pattillo and cellist Eric Stephenson.

“PROJECT Trio is a high-energy, chamber music ensemble,” said Seymour, business manager for PROJECT Trio. “We play every style of music from classical to jazz to hip-hop to rock and its great, high-energy, live music.”

Andrew Holzaepfel, associate director of the Campus Involvement Center, said they are the second artist performance in a series called “On the Edge.” In addition to having artists that are out of the ordinary, Holzaepfel said the series brings the artists in for a longer period of time, completing projects. PROJECT Trio will be reaching out to the youth of Athens in its residency.

“(PROJECT Trio) are going to be visiting (The Plains and Alexander) elementary schools in the region,” Holzaepfel said. “They are going to be going to after school programs with Athens City (Schools). They are going to be working with the Athens Community Music School through our School of Music.”

Seymour said with the rise of electronic music in today’s culture, there is something different about experiencing live music, such as PROJECT Trio’s.

“You can listen to electronic music on your headphones,” Seymour said. “When you go see a concert of people who have electronic music, it’s the same exact experience as if you were sitting at your house except you’re out and about with other people. When you hear live music, you get kind of a brand new experience, something that’s being created right in front of you.”

The group appeals to a younger audience as well, Holzaepfel said, and Ohio University students will enjoy PROJECT Trio’s performance.

“College students, they’re just going to love it just because it’s really good music,” Holzaepfel said. “Anyone who comes I think will leave very happy based on last year when they were here. They are very interactive with the audience.”

Seymour said that people won’t regret coming out to see the show.

“I just love the interaction with the audience,” Seymour said. “When you come to a show you really get a fully interactive concert. We get to know the audience and the audience really gets to know us.”

@reb_barnes

rb605712@ohiou.edu

This article appeared in print under the headline "PROJECT Trio to perform for On the Edge series"