Train ride offers celebration for the new year

It’s all-aboard to ring in the New Year.

The Hocking Valley Scenic Railway will be hosting a New Year’s Eve train experience. Kerry Kahn, a Hocking Valley Scenic Railway employee and New Year’s train volunteer, said the train offers more than the ride.

“(The event is) a train ride up to Logan from Nelsonville and back,” Kahn said. “There’s two sections of the train, there’s the wine and cheese cars where you get a selection of wine and cheeses and also you get a New Year’s Eve necklace or a tiara or a New Year’s Eve top hat. Or, you can ride on the pop and pizza car and on that we provide pizza and soda pop.”

The train will leave at 10:30 PM and the ride will last approximately two hours, Kahn said. The event also will be providing complementary gifts.

“If you ride on the wine and cheese train, you do get a souvenir wine glass,” Kahn said. “And if you ride on the pop and pizza train, for something new this year, you’re getting a…can cozy and it has Hocking Valley on it also.”

Guests will be treated to a show to ring in the New Year, Kahn said.

“On the way back it’ll stop around the Haydenville area for fireworks at midnight,” Kahn said. “And the fireworks display lasts around fifteen minutes. It’s pretty spectacular. It’s pretty nice. And you can get off the train or stay on the train and watch the fireworks, whichever you want to do.”

Taking the fun on wheels, Kahn said the experience is different than other New Year’s parties or events.

“It’s just lots of fun. I’ve ridden it several times,” Kahn said. “You get to know people you don’t know. We do provide pretty much all the wine you want, if you ride on that. The pop and pizza (section provides) pretty much as much as you want. It’s just a lot of fun, something to do on New Year’s Eve that’s different.”

Reservations can be made on hockingvalleytrain.org or called in at 1-800-967-7834.

rb605712@ohiou.edu

@reb_barnes

What: New Year’s Eve Train

When: Tuesday, 10:30 PM

Where: 33 East Canal Street, Nelsonville

Admission: Wine/cheese car (Adults 21+: $35, Seniors 60+: $30), Pizza/Pepsi car (Adults: $30, Seniors 60+: 25$, Children 3-12: $20, Children 3 or under ride free but must sit on guardian’s lap)