One of the students in the Shotokan Karate class follows the instructor, Wendy McVicker’s instructions and exercises. (ARIELLE BERGER | For The Post)

Athens residents turn to Karate for more than a simple workout

Twice a week more than 30 students from little tykes to graying veterans punch and kick their way through self-defense classes at Athens’ Community Center, 701 E. State St.

But these students are getting more out of the class than just a good workout said Wendy McVicker, leader of Tuesday’s class, Athens resident and fourth degree black belt.

“Shotokan is often called traditional Okinawan karate,” McVicker said. “We like to think of our practice as a martial arts practice as opposed to a sports practice, although it is very athletic ... It’s an all mind, body, spirit practice as I see it.”

The founder of Shotokan karate, Gichin Funakoshi, popularized karate-do to a larger audience around the world before his death in 1957. Now, kids and parents from all over the world participate and learn the philosophy.

Dylan Crawford, an Athens resident, and his son Kadin started the class for kids together three weeks ago and have been enjoying their time together as well as the exercise.

“(I started) because I wanted to do it with (Kadin),” Crawford said. “Get some good exercise and some good discipline.”

McVicker also started up her training when her children began back in 1991 and she never intended to stick with the program or let alone buy the uniform. But 23 years later, well after her children have moved on, she’s not only still training but also leading the class.

Samantha Rush, a 14-year-old brown belt student and a freshman at Federal Hocking High School in Coolville, said she has been studying in the school for eight years and most enjoys working with the kids class to teach. She added that through her experience in karate she discovered a passion for teaching and helping others.

That’s just one example of how Karate helps the students outside the walls of the Community Center. McVicker personally notices a greater awareness in everyday life and increased physical ability.

“I’ve had eye exams where they tell me I have great peripheral vision and I know it’s from training in this class, even if that’s just a small physical thing,” McVicker said. “We learn to feel the energy of another person and become discerning of that energy ... You don’t have to be afraid all of the time just because someone walks too close to you.”

If you go:

What: Shotokan Karate

When: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:15-6:15 p.m. kids class and 6:30-7:30 adult class.

Where: Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St.

Admission: $6 per session

@Wilbur_Hoffman

wh092010@ohiou.edu