Between the Lines: Famous feminist's stance should be standard

My name is Kristin and I am a fan of the f-word. The word that is so controversial and so offensive when said it strikes fear into the heart of good, sound-minded people.

That’s right, as much as I love cursing, the real controversial f-word I love is “feminism.” For me, there is nothing that makes me more excited than when someone unapologetically, cheerfully and without qualms, calls himself or herself a feminist.

There’s been a recent string of celebrities speaking out for women’s rights and equality, but they have made it very clear they are not feminists (looking at you, Queen Bey) because who would wanna associate themselves with us man-haters, eh?

But, much to my delight, my imaginary boyfriend Joseph Gordon-Levitt called himself a feminist in a recent interview without even taking a pause. You see, even with his dapper good looks, even better style, and his tendency to lip sync with Jimmy Fallon, the thing that I love most about my dearest JGL is that he gets it. The way to get the ladies is to respect them. And not in a respect-yourself-means-don’t-have-sex kind of way. But, a we can both get down and dirty in the sheets, but also split the bill, just enjoy a movie together kind of way.

Remember fellas (or whatever gender you prefer), take it from JGL, the way to make women swoon is a healthy knowledge of hegemonic masculinity and the feminist theory.

Or the belief that women deserve respect. Maybe let’s start there.

Kristin is a junior studying journalism and Culture Editor of

.