From the Editor's Desk: This week: 'Post' elects to publish despite day off

Howdy, all.

Week three can now be crossed off the calendar — and what a week it was.

Outside of Student Senate vice presidential elections, Board of Trustees meetings, the State of the Union address and the “Good Samaritan” bill, the weather was definitely the story of the week.

Sub-zero temperatures and a 36-hour campus closure opened a day for libations, catching up on schoolwork and (perhaps most commonly) binge-watching Adventure Time while huddled on the couch with microwaveable cups of mac ’n’ cheese.

The day before the day off (that’s Monday, for those keeping track) offered Post staffers: With campus closed, should we still print?

The Post’s general guideline is the newspaper prints every day classes are in session. With on-campus events canceled the following day, we had a sudden dearth of content. We also had to weigh if printing was financially wise if fewer people were likely to be able to pick up the paper at newsstands.

In the end, we — SPOILER ALERT —  decided to print. We felt publishing was part of our responsibility as a news source and that there was still plenty of news to report. So the staff rocked the phones to contact sources and wrote a slew of new stories about how the extreme weather would affect Athens and Ohio University.

I’m proud of and thankful for their efforts.

We had a pair of embarrassing mistakes pertaining to names in Thursday’s edition of The Post.

The first was in the headline “Bobcats take down the Falcons in second-half showcase,” which ran above the coverage of the men’s basketball game. While we are proud of the win over Central Michigan, we know the university’s mascot is the Chippewas, not the Falcons.

The second blunder occurred in the photos of the twins in PostModern. The caption described the photo of brothers, Adam and Stu Lubic, but each was identified as the other.

I would like to offer an explanation for both mistakes, but there isn’t one. We strive for accuracy in everything we do, but there are, of course, mistakes. We learn from them and move on.

In closing, please be sure to admire the new headshot of Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly in today’s paper. He sent us the new photo with a strong recommendation to “shred” the old campaign photo we had. Admittedly, it was rather outdated.

No problemo, Sheriff. Now I’m off to find a shredder...

Ryan Clark is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Send him an email at rc348710@ohiou.edu.