Gamer Girl: Sometimes it's worth it to unplug, relax

Every week, I look forward to a new Jenna Marbles video. I can always count on them making me laugh, but this week’s did even more.

In the video titled “Things I Am Too Busy To Do,” Jenna talks about just that. The list included things such as making her bed, coloring her roots and watching television shows when they actually air on television.

Jenna’s last thing she is too busy to do is “savasana.” Yoga fans know this as the final pose you do in any yoga class that involves lying silently for as long as 10 minutes.

Although I can count the number of yoga classes I’ve attended on my fingers, I have always been a fan of savasana.

Jenna says she doesn’t have time for this simply because to her, it’s a waste of time. That 10 minutes could be used for something much more important — calling a friend, doing some last-minute work, sleeping or something of the like.

The purpose of savasana is to unwind and unplug from life — and when you finish up the pose, you are supposed to feel refreshed and ready to go back to life.

I think we really need a time like savasana to unplug.

Our lives seem to revolve around our technology. Besides sleeping, it’s rare that we spend much time apart from our phones, computers or tablets. We take our spare time and use it to play games, surf the Internet or take selfies.

I’m as guilty as anyone of this. Whenever I’m working on homework, I either have Netflix or my TV on. When I’m playing a video game that doesn’t demand all my attention, I’m catching up on my YouTube videos at the same time. When trying to fall asleep at night, Netflix is on and I’m probably playing Candy Crush Saga to make me tired.

I spend more time with technology than I spend with anybody in my life. I think a lot of people could make the same statement.

I’ve spent the past year gushing to Gamer Girl readers about my love of games and technology. I live for the day new games are released or new gadgets are announced.

I get antsy in class to be able to catch up on the latest tweets. When spending time with friends, I’m constantly checking my Instagram feed. Even while writing this, I have Netflix playing in the background.

I think a large part of our generation is guilty of this tech obsession. The companies aren’t helping us either —  they’re making gizmos and gadgets that fit into every minute of our lives. How can we be blamed when we get addicted to them?

Trust me, I’m not about to swear off my beloved games. But I am going to try to unplug, even if it’s just for 10 minutes. I think we all should — to give ourselves time to relax and simply unwind with no distractions.

Sophie Kruse is a sophomore studying journalism and a writer for The Post. Email her at sk139011@ohiou.edu.