Post Editorial: Senate's open VP elections signal progress

Student Senate shakeups have dominated our front page and website during the past several months, today being no exception. We covered the twists and turns of former president Nick Southall’s tenure and will continue to keep you up-to-date through Anna Morton’s presidency.

One of Morton’s first decisions after being sworn in as president Wednesday was to advocate for senate to suspend its rules and procedures so that any Ohio University student can run for her former vice president position.

She called the move “bold” in a statement given to us Tuesday. We prefer a different adjective: necessary.

Instead of electing a voting senate member to the vice president position, as the rules and procedures suggest, senate is correct in searching beyond its body to find its new second in command. Let’s find someone who doesn’t know much of anything about Robert’s Rules of Order, someone with a new voice — preferably one that wasn’t on last year’s winning ticket.

The likelihood of senate’s next vice president being completely new to the body is probably slim, but the student governing body could benefit from an infusion of new ideas that outside candidates might bring to the table. Even if an outsider doesn’t get elected to the seat, it would be a welcome departure to hear from someone who hasn’t been playing in the Student Sandbox for the past four years.

At the very least, it couldn’t hurt.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.