Beauty and the Bobcat: Skin care is crucial in harsh winter weather

Gentle products are preferable to heavy-duty ones, which will further irritate your skin.

Is anyone else sick of this weather? I know I am, and so is my face. OK, that sounds weird, but it’s true. This arctic air is harsh on skin and dries sensitive areas up like the desert. Lips, hands and faces do not get along well with cold, and that’s why it’s so important to have a solid skin care routine to help your skin get through the winter months unscathed.

Having a gentle cleanser is preferable when it’s cold because harsh products can further irritate your skin and increase sensitivity. I use the Bioelements Flash Foam Cleanser, which is about $34. This product is wonderful. It gently dissolves makeup, dirt, oil and dead skin cells and leaves your skin soft and squeaky clean.

If you’re prone to acne, try to avoid cleansers that contain salicylic acid because it can increase drying. However, because keeping a clear face can be difficult, opt for a moisturizer that contains an acne medication so it will work double duty. I use the Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Moisturizer, which is about $20. It treats acne, prevents new acne from emerging and hydrates your face to soothe redness and irritation.

I recently invested in a Clarisonic Mia, and I am obsessed with it. It’s without a doubt my favorite skincare tool, and it has worked wonders on my skin. The price is pretty steep (about $130), but it is well worth it. According to the Clarisonic website, the Mia uses “sonic technology (that) works with skin’s natural elasticity, oscillating at a sonic frequency that produces over 300 movements per second.” This removes dirt and oil while scrubbing deep into your pores to give your skin the best clean it has ever had. Because it unclogs your pores so deeply, it actually preps your skin to better absorb products such as moisturizer, which is why it has been my savior this season.

Moisturizer is the most important part of your skin care regime, especially in the winter. It keeps your skin hydrated and healthy while preventing irritation and softening the harsh blows of the icy wind. A long-time favorite of mine has been the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, which is about $26. I apply this even after I’ve applied the Acne Solutions because it adds even more moisture. The new version of the formula vows to strengthen the skin’s moisture barrier by 54 percent, according to its website. This not only helps to hydrate your skin, but locks the moisture in.

So, try to make the most of this arctic tundra in which we currently live and be sure you keep your skin happy, too. You deserve it!

Taylor is a junior studying journalism and the asst. copy chief at The Post. What is your skin care routine? Let her in on your secrets at tl674710@ohiou.edu.