From the Editor's Desk: 'The Post' proudly accepts ONA awards

Hey there, folks.

Please pardon me this week. I am going to diverge from my usual recap of the week that was, and instead am going to brag a bit about the staff I am privileged to lead.

I attended the Ohio News Association annual conference Thursday in Columbus and the results of the association’s collegiate newspaper competition were announced. I am proud to say The Post and its staff won the following awards for its work during the 2012-13 academic year:

• Overall news coverage — 2nd place

• In-depth reporting — 1st place for Will Drabold and Jim Ryan’s work on the general fee breakdown. (See also the accompanying editorial.)

• Design — 1st place

• Photojournalism — 3rd place for the photo staff’s work when President Barack Obama made a campaign visit in Athens. (News coverage here, slideshow at the bottom.)

• Headline writing — 1st place (prime example here.)

• Best multimedia package — 1st place for the Aiding Athens project that profiled PassionWorks

• Best website — 3rd place (somehow…)

Winning awards is by no means the reason we spend our days reporting, designing, making photographs, editing and producing the newspaper. But it is exhilarating and an honor to be recognized for our efforts.

It is also satisfying to know we rate among The Daily Kent Stater and Ohio State University’s The Lantern, both of which are lab newspapers, while The Post remains student-run and independent of the university.

And, of course, it’s important to remember the judges use only a handful of content to evaluate a year’s work. Even so, the recognition serves as a reminder that the long hours of hard work pay off.

But enough bragging for now.

Everyone, get back to work.

Ryan Clark is a senior studying journalism and the editor-in-chief of The Post. Tell him your thoughts at rc348710@ohiou.edu.