Men's Basketball: Ohio vs. Buffalo in-game notes

PREGAME:

The battle for first place in the Mid-American Conference East division is on the line tonight, as Ohio and Buffalo meet for the second time this season. In the last meeting between the two schools, Ohio dispatched the Bulls 73-70 Feb. 15 in New York.

Both squads are coming off wins, with the Bulls defeating Kent State 78-69 and Ohio besting Akron 66-50. Ohio was stout in all phases against the Zips, as redshirt senior forward Jon Smith scored 16 points and added a career-high 12 rebounds.

Buffalo senior forward Javon McCrea is the team’s leading scorer with 18.9 points per game. He also ranks 15th in the nation in rebounding, with 10.3 boards per game. McCrea’s 14 double-doubles on the season ranks sixth in the nation. The Bulls have won five of their last six conference games.

STARTING LINEUPS:

OHIO:

Redshirt junior guard Javarez Willis, junior forward Maurice Ndour, senior guard Nick Kellogg, redshirt senior Jon Smith, senior guard Travis Wilkins.

BUFFALO:

senior guard Jarod Oldham, senior guard Joshua Freelove, junior forward Xavier Ford, junior forward Will Regan, senior forward Javon McCrea.

FIRST HALF

If revenge was on the minds of the Buffalo players, they certainly played like it was a factor. The Bulls shot over 50 percent from the field and pulled down 21 rebounds as they dominated Ohio in the first half. The Bulls coasted to a 42-27 at intermission.

The Bobcats had trouble getting in an offensive groove, as Buffalo started off the game with an early 13-6 lead. The Bulls constant pressure forced Ohio to throw many errant passes, as they had eight turnovers. Buffalo took advantage of Ohio’s miscues, and scored 16 points off of the Bobcat's turnovers. 

The Bobcats didn’t show much life on offense until junior guard Stevie Taylor came in off the bench and made a 3-pointer in the 13-minute mark. Taylor’s triple was followed by seven straight Bobcat points from senior guard Nick Kellogg to cut the Bulls lead to 16-14 with 12:05 remaining. Buffalo quickly responded to the Bobcats run, and quickly increased the gap to a ten-point lead with 5:45 remaining in the half.

With 4:09 left in the half, Ohio’s redshirt junior Javarez Willis brought the Bobcats within seven points after scoring five straight Ohio points. The Bobcats, couldn’t capitalize on the run, as Buffalo had their way the rest of the half. Buffalo senior guard Joshua Freelove converted a 3-pointer directly before the halftime buzzer to put the Bulls stamp on the first half.

HALFTIME BOX:

Buffalo:

Joshua Freelove 12 points

Jarod Oldham 11 points

Javon McCrea four points, three rebounds

Ohio:

Nick Kellogg 10 points, four rebounds

Javarez Willis five points

SECOND HALF

Ohio’s second half surge came up short, as the Bobcats fell to the Buffalo Bulls 69-64. Despite a charge by the Bobcats, Ohio’s inability to make free throws and timely shots plagued them down the stretch.

Four Bulls scored in double figures, and Buffalo took full advantage of Ohio’s miscues as they forced 14 Bobcat turnovers, and turned them into 26

Ohio quickly chipped away at a 15-point halftime deficit and closed the gap to two points following a pair of Kellogg free throws with 10:13 remaining in the game. After Buffalo, went on a run of their own, a 3-pointer by redshirt sophomore Treg Setty cut Buffalo’s lead to three points with 7:26 left in the contest. Setty provided a boost for the Bobcats, especially in the second half. He finished with nine points and five rebounds.  Ohio had several late chances to defeat the Bulls, as they had several good looks at the rim in the waning moments.

With 3:06 remaining in the game, Willis trimmed Buffalo’s lead to two points after he hit a 3-pointer. However, Buffalo’s McCrae responded with a basket as the Bulls increased their lead to four points in the closing minutes. After missing a key 3-pointer, Kellogg converted on another chance to pull the Bobcats within one point at 65-65 with 1:10 remaining in the game. Senior forward T.J. Hall then proceeded to foul McCrae, who made both attempts to give the Bulls a three point lead with 39.6 seconds left in the contest. Ohio failed to capitalize on its final possession and Buffalo’s freshman guard Shannon Evans sank two free throws to seal the victory.

FINAL BOX:

BUFFALO:

Javon McCrea 15 points, seven rebounds

Joshua Freelove 14 points, two rebounds

Jarod Oldham 13 points, four rebounds

Will Regan 10 points, four rebounds

OHIO:

Nick Kellogg 18 points, five rebounds

Jon Smith 11 points, three rebounds

Treg Setty nine points, three rebounds

Javarez Willis eight points, five rebounds