Ohio is currently 8-0 and off to its best start since 1974

For the first time in Ohio’s 40 year history, the Bobcats have won each of their first eight games, remaining undefeated through the first two weekends of play.

The Bobcats won four games this past weekend in the Osprey Invitational, which was capped by sophomore pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey’s no-hitter against the Ospreys, the host team. Dorsey has picked up the victory in seven of the Bobcats’ eight victories.

“It was really exciting,” Dorsey said. “We don’t focus on (the no-hitter) ... My shortstop Amanda Dalton looked at me and said she didn’t know I had a no-hitter going.”

Dorsey tossed a pair of shutouts this past weekend against Southern Illinois and North Florida and leads the Bobcats’ pitching staff with a 1.03 ERA and 41 strikeouts. She tossed 16 innings on the weekend and struck out 13 batters.

“(Savannah) was able to come in throughout the weekend and … capitalize by throwing a no-hitter against a great offensive team like North Florida,” said Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek. 

Ohio was originally slated to compete in the Georgia Softball Classic this past weekend, but winter weather canceled the tournament, forcing the Bobcats to change their plans.

“We knew what we could accomplish as a staff,” Hermanek said. “Our goal was to get the girls back on the field and have every opportunity to get games in, and we are very thankful that North Florida was able to put us in their tournament.”

Ohio played in doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday but struggled offensively in its first game against Savannah State, recording just two hits in eight innings of play. Junior pitcher Lauren McClary tossed seven innings and allowed just one earned run, but Dorsey then entered the game to record the win.

“Lauren McClary had a great weekend and she did a great job for us and worked through some adversity,” Hermanek said. 

Dorsey entered the circle again on Saturday to shut out Southern Illinois in Ohio’s second game. Freshman third baseman Casie Hutchinson went 3-for-4 on the day and drove in a run. The win marked the Bobcats’ best start since their inaugural season in 1974. 

Dorsey’s no-hitter wasn’t the only source of Ohio’s excitement on Sunday, as the Bobcats ended their earlier contest with a walk-off hit. Tied at four against Troy with two outs in the bottom of the seventh inning, junior catcher Adrienne Gebele singled to left field to drive in sophomore Alexia Cortez for the winning run.

“We had a lot of unnecessary errors in that game,” Hermanek said. “I think once the team loosened up and was themselves we were able to manufacture runs.”

Fast Facts

Saturday

Ohio 3, Savannah State 2  (8 innings)

Ohio 2, Southern Illinois 0

Sunday

Ohio 5, Troy 4

Ohio 1, North Florida 0

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohiou.edu 

The article appeared in print under the headline, "Best start since 1974"