County designates April as Child Abuse Prevention Month

Athens County Commissioners are encouraging residents to “wear blue” and get involved in preventing child abuse for the month of April.

“We’ve just got so many kids in terrible situations with terrible family support,” said Commissioner Charlie Adkins. “Any time we can shed light on that we need to.

Hopefully we can raise support in the community in the future.”

The proclamation declaring April as Child Abuse Prevention Month was signed at the commissioners’ Tuesday meeting and encouraged “citizens, social service organizations, businesses, law enforcement, schools, and religious organizations to increase their participation in efforts to prevent child abuse and neglect.”

Athens County Children Services Director Catherine Hill, who brought the proclamation to the commissioners, thanked the county for its help.

“We’re really glad to kick it off with you guys,” Hill said.

The commissioners also designated April 9 as “Wear Blue Day” to support efforts against child abuse.

Robin Webb, community events coordinator for the Athens County Children Services, said that pictures of participants wearing blue that day will be posted to the Athens County Children Services’ Facebook page.

The commissioners agreed that recognizing and preventing child abuse is important to the entire community.

“As a community, we can all help restore hope to the lives of victims, thereby strengthening our families and community for the future,” the proclamation said.

ob023312@ohiou.edu

@gingerbower13