The Ohio University women's swimming and diving team cheers together before the start of their meet against University of Buffalo on November 2, 2013. Ohio dominated Buffalo with a final score of 143-89. (EMILY HARGER - STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Ferguson to represent Ohio in tourney

Although her teammates are done competing for the season, sophomore Addison Ferguson continues to swim on. 

Ferguson will travel to Minneapolis, Minn., to take part in the NCAA Championships where she will swim in the 100-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly events.

“I’m real excited (for her),” coach Derick Roe said. “We’re looking to improve upon our performances from the MAC championship and continue to move forward.

“It would be a great goal if (Ferguson) could walk away from the NCAA Championship with a top 16 finish in the backstroke event and two personal bests.”

Ferguson said she was a little nervous for the meet, but went on to say she was just as excited to take on higher competition. 

With a full season of ups and downs for the program, Ferguson has remained a constant for Ohio on her way to clinching back-to-back 100-yard backstroke Mid-American Conference titles. She also earned First Team All-MAC honors for the second-straight year.

Ferguson broke her own program record in the event with a time of 53.10, accompanied with setting a new meet record at the MAC Championships. Ferguson also holds the second-best time for the 100-yard butterfly in Ohio swimming history. 

Adding to her individual success, Ferguson also filled in for Ohio’s 200- and 400-yard medley relay team in the season. 

“I think we did a lot with what we had,” Ferguson said. “I think we were thrown under the bus at the very beginning, and to still have a team at the end of the year is more than what we could ask for.” 

She has already established herself as a vital contributor to the Bobcats’ success after being named the MAC Women’s Swimmer of the Week on Feb. 10 and was named the team’s co-MVP last year along with senior Laurin Williams. As a freshman, Ferguson tallied 23 first-place finishes and added 15 more this year. 

Ferguson, who still has two more years of eligibility to build onto her already decorated resume, said she is excited for her future. 

“I think we’re going to have a good season next year,” Ferguson said. “I think it’s going to be a rebuilding season, I think we’re going to recruit a lot and bring in new coaches and new freshmen.” 

Ferguson and Roe left for the three-day NCAA Championships on Wednesday; action begins Thursday.

lr514812@ohiou.edu

@Lukeoroark