Ohio redshirt sophomore forward Treg Setty pumps up his teammates against Western Michigan at The Convo. The Bobcats fell to the Broncos, a No. 1 seed for the Mid-American Conference Tournament, on Feb. 19. (Jason E. Chow | File Photo)

Men's Basketball: Bobcats take on Cardinals

Running the table in the Mid-American Conference Tournament will not be an easy task for Ohio, but the Bobcats have shown the ability to come from behind with their backs to the wall all season.

Having secured the No. 5 seed in the MAC Tournament, Ohio will begin its quest for a conference crown Monday when it hosts a first-round game against No. 12 Ball State. The winner will advance to Cleveland for the second round of action Wednesday.

This year will mark the first time since the 2011 MAC Tournament that Ohio has not received a bye past the first round. The Bobcats exited in the second round with a loss to Ball State that season.

Ohio senior guard Nick Kellogg, who became Ohio’s program leader in 3-pointers Saturday against Miami, said the Bobcats’ ability to win their final two games before the MAC Tournament should bode well for the squad.

“Coming into this game (against Miami), something coach (Jim Christian) talked about was, we hadn’t been able to put consecutive games together,” Kellogg said. “So I think that’s something that we improved on as a team (against Miami). Not necessarily proving to anybody else but just kind of to ourselves, and within our locker room, that we can string together two good efforts on consecutive nights.”

Although Ohio knew it would be hosting a first-round game before its overtime victory against Miami on Saturday, Christian insisted it was not a statement game to earn the fifth seed opposed to the sixth seed.

“We’ve got some hungry guys who have been there before so I think they understand,” Christian said. “They understand the plight, they understand we’ve had our opportunities to do that if we would have done it but we didn’t have to come in and prove we can beat anybody.”

In the teams’ lone meeting this season, Ohio dispatched Ball State in Athens 71-51.

Ball State, which won a conference-worst two games in MAC play, is on a two-game losing streak after falling to Northern Illinois on Saturday.

However, the Cardinals boast the second-best rebounding offense in the MAC thanks to the play of senior forward Majok Majok, who averages a league-best 10.1 rebounds per game. Offensively, senior forward Chris Bond averages a team-high 12 points per game.

If Ohio advances to the second round, it will play the winner of No. 9 Kent State and No. 8 Miami. The Bobcats are also in the same half of the bracket as No. 4 Akron and No. 1 Western Michigan.

Despite being hindered with injuries during the latter half of the regular season, Ohio received a boost from junior forward Maurice Ndour on Saturday, though he did not start. His 15 points were his best total in three weeks, and he said the time off helped him.

“I feel great right now,” Ndour said. “I am really worried about no injuries, just trying to focus on the future of the next five games that we have.”

Ohio’s bench depth has helped ease Ndour’s recent struggles, with freshman forward Antonio Campbell and redshirt sophomore forward Treg Setty answering the call. Setty grabbed a career-high 11 rebounds against Miami.

“That’s the rhythm we have,” Ndour said. “A lot of guys on the bench that are ready to step up every time somebody’s not ready to play because of injury. … Your name could be called at any moment.”

@Brandon_Kors

mk277809@ohiou.edu

Up Next

Who: No. 12 Ball State

vs. No. 5 Ohio

When: 7 p.m., Monday

Where: The Convo

The winner will advance to the second round of the MAC Tournament in Cleveland.