Shortstop Amanda Dalton prepares to throw to first at the Ohio Softball Field in Athens, Ohio on Friday, April 12, 2013. No play was made as the Miami Redhawk made it safely to first. Ohio lost 11-5. (Jason E. Chow | Staff Photographer)

Softball: Ohio prepares for a doubleheader against Dayton Thursday

One of Ohio’s major goals this season is being the best team in the state.

After recording wins against Ohio State and Wright State already this year, the Bobcats will travel to Dayton in hope to take down the Flyers in a doubleheader Thursday.

Dayton is the only non-conference opponent remaining before Ohio begins its Mid-American Conference slate next week. The Bobcats are 2-11 in their last thirteen games entering Thursday, but both wins came against in-state foes.

“We want to be the best team in the state,” coach Hermanek said. “When we play these non-conference midweek games we want to come out, and we want to win to be the best team in the state.”

Dayton has battled through a tough non-conference schedule so far this season facing the likes of No. 11 Texas A&M and University of California, Santa Barbara. The Flyers have found success at the plate, but not the circle as they have relied on offense to win games.

Five Flyers bolster batting averages .326 or better this season. Senior centerfielder Rachel Archer and shortstop Jordan Jennings pace the lineup, as Archer sets the table with a .379 average and Jennings holds down the three hole hitting with an average of .359.

The duo from Texas isn’t the only Flyers who are producing for Dayton’s offense with junior first baseman Tiffany Ricks providing pop from the cleanup spot after posting a .357 with four home runs and 15 runs batted in.

In order to win two road games, Ohio will look to capitalize on the poor pitching. Dayton has one of the worst earned run averages in the Atlantic 10 with 4.83 as a team. None of its four pitchers have an individual ERA lower than 4.40.

Ohio is hitting .273 as a team and leading the MAC in walks, which may prove to be crucial in order to defeat the Flyers.

“Dayton will be a good test to make sure we have everything in order,” sophomore first baseman Kaylin Clarke said. “After that, it’s just down to business.”

Clarke is referring the beginning of what Ohio calls its “second season” with the beginning of MAC play next weekend. Despite a rough stretch lately, the Bobcats have played well against some of the nation’s toughest teams.

“Spring break was up and down for us,” Clarke said. “Coming back after spring break, we are going to be the best team in Ohio for sure.”

ak840511@ohiou.edu

@Kovarandrew