Women's Golf: Freshman makes her way into record books

Ohio women’s golf finished in 10th place overall in the Ocala Invitational thanks to an outstanding performance by freshman Hailey Hrynewich after three days of play in Florida.

Hrynewhich was stellar this week with a final day score of 71 — one stroke over par — and a combined three day total of 218 for two strokes over par. Not only did her performance put her in third place overall, but it was a school-record.

Her performance was the best individual one since sophomore Angela Codian finished second at the Dayton Fall Invitational in 2012.

Hrynewhich was only five strokes away from finishing second in the overall individual standings.

She also demonstrated a great improvement over her performance in the Rio Verde Invitational where she shot a combined score of 238 which was 35 strokes over par.

Neither Hrynewhich nor coach Kelly Ovington were made available to The Post for comment.

Ohio also had good success as a team, and though it finished tenth overall, the team’s three-day total of 920 was the third-best 54-hole total in program history. The Bobcats also finished ahead of Mid-American Conference foe Northern Illinois, but Toledo and Akron finished atop the team.

Senior Kristen Helmsdoerfer also recorded a career-low 73 in her final round and tied for 25th place overall after carding a three day total of 230, which was 14 strokes over par.

The Bobcats hope to keep improve on their record breaking performances as next week they head to the 2014 Lady Colonel Classic in Richmond, Ky.

ph553412@ohiou.edu

@PaulHolden33