Athens' poetic community is diverse, welcoming group

From Shakespeare’s iambic pentameter to Shel Silverstein’s unique style, a variety of poems are a part of school curriculums, but for some folks, poetry is more than just required reading.

April is National Poetry Month and aims to bring attention to poetry around the world.

Sometimes it just takes one great poem to find a passion for poetry, said Jamie Hunyor, a junior studying creative writing who first discovered poetry when a good friend read “It Happens Like This” by James Tate in an AP literature class during Hunyor’s senior year of high school.

“It blew my mind,” he said. “You have this idea of what poetry has to be when you are younger, and when you have someone who shows you something different and not what I was typically reading, it made me a lot more interested.”

Hunyor transferred to Ohio University after studying journalism at the University of Missouri and had never been involved in a poetic community before becoming a part of the Designated Space community.

Designated Space is a weekly open mic night for spoken-word, storytelling and poetry held at Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 1/2 W. Washington St., Tuesday nights for Designated Space, said Emily McDermott, who became the MC for Designated Space in the winter of 2013.    

“It’s a safe place, a designated space for people to express what they think or feel through their writing,” she said. “I really like the energy we have when everyone has brought a piece they are excited to share, and I’m amazed because we have such great poets here.”  

Performing at Designated Space can also lead to new opportunities, McDermott said.

“Jon Sands read poetry at Designated Space while at Ohio University, and now he’s published and nationally renowned,” she said. “It’s a great catalyst for a lot of cool stuff.”  

The poetic community in Athens is diverse in style, format and themes, said Craig Dellaposta, a sophomore studying biological chemistry.

“Everybody has this unique approach on how they use it for their own cathartic means of the human condition, but everyone is supportive,” he said. “A lot of poets communicate, work together, help edit and promote each other’s work.”

Zach Finn, a senior studying graphic design, said he was involved with creative writing and short-story writing in high school, which plays into his poetry.

“(My) shorter pieces are for the stage and longer is for people to read,” he said. “Fairytales and mythology is a big thing I loved in my childhood, so some of my poetry has mythological and fairytale themes.”

Poetry isn’t exclusive, and everyone is invited to share their work or just listen to others read, Dellaposta said.

“I would encourage everyone to explore poetry, come to Donkey and approach poets if you have questions or if you want to try writing, because if you think you can’t, everyone can,” he said. “But really, be happy and do it if that’s what you enjoy, because that’s what it’s all about.”

@thisisjelli

ao007510@ohiou.edu