College Matt-ers: University should be upfront about its 'free' stuff

I remember the first tour I went on at Ohio University. It was one of the reasons I came here, but I also recall the tour guide saying that one of the best things about going to college was the amount of free stuff there is and to be sure to take advantage of it.

In my four years, I’ve definitely taken advantage of the free goodies, but how much of it was really free?

Students pay thousands of dollars in tuition, housing, dining, the General Fee and countless other fees to attend college, but the breakdown of that cost is obscured because students pay all of it at the beginning of the semester.

A university doesn’t have to play by a traditional economic model because its income is derived from student debt. Universities are in constant competition over who can provide the best services, such as the newest residences halls, state-of-the-art multipurpose centers or renovations to their dining halls. There is no incentive for universities to keep costs low so long as students are still able and willing to take out additional loans.

Moreover, then the university can somehow get away with calling some of its events and services “free.” By calling something “free,” students may feel they don’t have a right to complain about the service they are receiving, even though they already indirectly paid for it at the beginning of the year. Don’t like Aaron Carter? Tough, it’s a “free” show!

At the very least, University Programming Council, the Campus Involvement Center and other organizations that advertise ostensibly free events should be required to call them “prepaid” instead. Maybe it’s not a sexy way to get students to come out and pet animals from the Columbus Zoo, but it’s at least more honest.

Even better, the university should take this a step further and transparently advertise how much student money is being spent on departments at the events themselves. Every time students are given their “free ticket” at a football, basketball or other athletics game, a giant sign should read: ??“Prepaid event! Each student pays a mandatory $429.72 per year to enjoy going – or not going – to athletics events. Contact (insert university administrator) with questions/comments/complaints!”

Granted, the marketing people can probably come up with a better sign, but I think this would serve as a practical way to get students informed and involved about how their money is spent.

Matt Farmer is a senior studying political science and education. How often do you take advantage of the university’s “free” stuff? Email him at mf291209@ohiou.edu.