Everyday Wellness: Avoiding junk-food habits is deceptively simple

Do you raid the refrigerator or pantry for sustenance and end up consuming junk food?  I get it — you’re tired, definitely not in the mood to cook and just want something quick that will satisfy your hunger cravings. What’s the big deal? Well, if the snack is primarily empty calories (processed foods or high-fat, high-sugar items), such routine behavior can be a main reason you haven’t yet achieved that coveted summer physique.

Don’t believe me? Let’s say your snack is a bag of chips or a half cup of ice cream. If you were to consume one serving of either of these items, the consequence is a net gain of about 150 calories. If this action were a one-time event (or even a once-a-week indulgence), it would likely have a minimal effect on your figure and overall health. However, if you consistently consume a 150-calorie snack (like chips or ice cream) on a nightly basis, it would equate to a gain of 15 pounds per year assuming that everything else in your diet and exercise regimen remained constant during that time.

The point is: Freshmen aren’t the only ones susceptible to gaining weight. Though a daily sugary sweet snack might seem benign, empty calories can prevent you from achieving ideal weight even if you are spending ample time in the gym. The solution isn’t to stop eating late-night snacks but rather to control what you are eating. One option might be to place your junk food in a less accessible location that is not visible when you open the cabinet or refrigerator door. This is a good start, but even then, you know that the treat is in there somewhere. This places the burden on your mental fortitude, and even though you may be strong and resilient today, it is only a matter of time before you are stressed and no longer have the willpower required to resist the temptation.

Fortunately, there is a better option, one that is more fool-proof. It is (drum roll please)... be a better grocery shopper! It’s such an obvious solution and yet so underappreciated. A significant factor contributing to the tendency to consume unhealthful foods is proximity. If junk food is easily accessible, you are more likely to eat more of it. The 30 minutes you spend at the grocery store determines what you consume for the next seven days, so don’t sabotage your healthy intentions of resisting tantalizing treats. Simply keep the junk out of the house! If you choose to purchase wholesome, nutritious food, you are set for the week. Sure, initially you will probably regret not buying goodies, but you won’t agonize over whether you should eat the chips or ice cream compared to your stock of healthy alternatives because the suboptimal options won’t exist anymore.

I know this simple solution to the multi-faceted and complex challenge regarding how to avoid eating junk food probably falls under the category of “sounds a heck of a lot easier than it actually is,” but the mind and body have an amazing capacity to adapt to the given environment and circumstances. Like starting a new activity or job, what initially sounds daunting and draining can become effortless and enjoyable before you know it.

Mark Gottschlich is a medical student at the Heritage College of Medicine.  Email Mark if you have general questions about health and wellness at gg617012@ohiou.edu; call your physician for personal or illness related concerns.