Ohio University’s junior dancers practice during rehearsal for the upcoming dance show in Putnam Hall. (Mingran Ma | For The Post)

Junior dancers collaborate to showcase work, talent

To showcase their hard work and studies in the Division of Dance, the junior class of BFA students, for the first time, will perform arrangements they’ve worked on all semester in Putnam Hall.

Dance students will represent the culmination of three years of composition in the first  Junior Project Showing, which aims to prepare the students for their lives in the creative sphere. 

Given only one task, — to make a dance — students Rebecca Sebo, Kaitlin Flynn, Leah Crosby, Curtis Johnson, Bethany Logan, Bethany Lopreste and Anna Elizabeth put their best feet forward to ensure they make a memorable night. 

“This is the first time the junior class will be presenting work all together,” said Sebo, who is performing her dance “Limb-Lot.” “It’s exciting that we are capable of producing these works, but also scary that next year it will be our capstone projects instead.”

Because this is the first concert of its kind for the students, tensions are running high.

“Compared to other shows I’ve had work in I would definitely say my nerves and excitement are so much more than they have been,” Elizabeth said. “It’s the first concert that we really get to show as a class what we are capable of doing and we have been put in charge of a lot of the aspects to create the show. I think that we’ve created a really exciting concert and I hope that the audience feels the same way when they see it.”

With her dance, entitled “Silence is Overrated,” Elizabeth is hoping to delve into her interest of creating sound with the human body. With no music accompanying the dance, the dancers and their costumes will create the sound in the piece. 

“I wanted to create a piece that didn’t have to worry about the confines of a musical selection and its counts,” Elizabeth said. “I wanted it to stand alone and show that dance doesn’t always need support from another art form.” 

Ultimately, like the other dancers, she wants to push the boundaries of what they can do with their surroundings and the body. 

“I think my main goal is that they see what all the possibilities are for the human body,” Elizabeth said. “The body can do some amazing things and when pushed far enough it has the ability to do something really unique for each person.”

Each dancer has different emotions about their upcoming performance, but many are just excited to show off their work. 

“I am not as nervous to present this work as I was when I showed my work at the American College Dance Festival, but I am still nervous — as a choreographer you give up a lot of control,” said Crosby, who’s performing her dance “Take Two and Marker.” 

“It is your name in the program and your ego on the line, but ultimately it is the dancers’ responsibility to give a really great performance. Fortunately I have a very hard-working cast.”

@TheWillofAsh

wa054010@ohiou.edu

If You Go:

What: Junior Project Showing 2014

When: 7 p.m., Tuesday

Where: Putnam Hall

Admission: Free