OUPD chief said assault, burglary reports spiked this spring

Despite reported spikes in burglaries and assaults, Ohio University Police Chief Andrew Powers said this semester was business as usual.

“I don’t think we have observed any significant trends in crime this semester,” Powers said.

Emotionally Disturbed Person Reports

The Ohio University Police Department received 28 emotionally disturbed person reports this semester, a slight increase from the 26 reports made fall semester, according to reports.

Powers said that although the department saw an increase in the number of EDP reports, it’s too soon to say whether the increase is a trend or just an anomaly.

Dean of Students Jenny-Hall Jones said the university is aware of the increase, but added there are several factors that could have caused the spike.

Burglaries and Theft

Ohio University saw 10 on-campus burglaries this semester — seven of which occurred on East Green. Powers said he suspects the concentration of burglaries on East Green is most likely a coincidence.

In 2013, 18 burglaries were reported with an estimated loss of more than $9,500, according to reports. OUPD also received 49 theft reports this semester.

Assault

Reports of assaults were also included in the OUPD reports. The reports showed that seven reported assaults were called into the department — roughly twice the amount compared to Fall 2013. Six reports were classified as simple non-aggravated assaults while the remainder were classified as “disorderly by fighting.”

Drug Related Offenses

OUPD received 50 reports related to drug offenses this semester, with 13 of these reports classified as illegal use or possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia.

Powers said his department has many efforts in place to address issues such as drug use, drug abuse and drug trafficking, but that he was not prepared to share any specific details.

Illegal use or possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia is considered a minor misdemeanor in which the offender could receive up to $150 in fines, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Peter Trentacoste, executive director of residential housing at OU, said the resident assistants sponsor a variety of programs related to health and safety that often involve education on drugs and alcohol.

“If an RA is aware of drug activity, then they suspect a violation of law, they call a police officer to come and visit the room and investigate further,” Trentacoste said.

Other related reports included possession of controlled substances, narcotics and drug paraphernalia other than marijuana. 

jl951613@ohiou.edu

@JoshuaLim93