Dakota Pyles is congratulated by her teammates after a diving catch against the Miami Redhawks during the matchup last season. (Jason E. Chow| File Photo)

Softball: Bobcats aim for their best start in 7 years

After winning three of its first four games to start Mid-American Conference play, Ohio will look to continue its momentum into this weekend when it hosts a pair of two-game series.

After defeating Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan last weekend, Ohio will take on Kent State and Buffalo and attempt to achieve its best MAC start since 2007. But both teams provide a different host of challenges for Ohio.

Kent State travels to Athens for a Friday doubleheader, but despite such a tough schedule, the Golden Flashes have fared well by winning against No. 6 Kentucky, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa State, Pittsburgh, and Penn State. Kent State boasts a deep pitching staff which currently holds one of the best earned run averages in the MAC at 2.80.

“It’s going to be a fun series to be a part of because you have two teams that are atop the conference in terms of the style of schedule,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “I think we just need to focus on our side of the field and I think we’re going to have a solid attack against their pitching staff.”

The Golden Flashes’ success in the circle hasn’t equaled at the plate, though, as they post one of the worst batting averages in the MAC at .237. That inefficiency has cost Kent State a few games already this season, including its MAC-opening series against Miami when it was held to five runs in two games, while the Redhawks scored 13 times.

Ohio will once again have to call on the consistency of the pitching staff. Last week pitchers Savannah Jo Dorsey, a sophomore, and Lauren McClary, a junior, had three solid outings before Ohio lost the weekend finale to Central Michigan.

Hermanek can’t get the arms of the Bobcats too tired against Kent State, as Buffalo, which will come to Athens for games Saturday and Sunday, has a lot of star power throughout its lineup.

The Bulls’ offense is led by a pair of outfielders, senior Holly Luciano, who is batting .349, and junior Karly Nevez, with a .347 average. If Dorsey and company can shut down these two bats, Ohio should have no problem with the rest of Buffalo’s lineup.

Similar to Kent State, Buffalo hosts one of the better pitching staffs in the MAC and has a team ERA of 2.88. Senior pitcher Tori Speckman is third in the MAC for innings pitched with 118.1 and holds an ERA of 2.13.

Hermanek will also be calling on bats like freshman Cassie Hutchinson who had a stellar weekend up in Michigan. She was named MAC East player of the week after leading the team hitting .625 with a .688 slugging percentage and a team-high 10 hits.

@kovarandrew

ak840511@ohiou.edu

Up Next:

What Ohio (18-14, 3-1 MAC) vs. Kent State (14-14, 0-2 MAC)

When 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., Friday

Where Ohio Softball Field

Admission Free