Women's Golf: Ohio finishes fifth, two Bobcats tie for a spot in the top twenty

Despite heavy rainstorms and soaking wet greens shortening this weekend’s Colonel Classic to 36 holes opposed to the usual 54, Ohio finished fifth overall in Arlington, Ky. The Bobcats shot a two-day total of 638 strokes for 62-over-par.

Ohio proved itself as a top team from Ohio by finishing ahead of in-state foes Akron, Bowling Green and Cleveland State. Ohio also finished just four strokes behind Marshall in the fourth spot.

“We finished in the top half of the field, we always make that our goal, coach Kelly Ovington said. “Considering the challenges we were faced, overall we had a decent finish.”

One of the biggest challenges facing the team this weekend was bad weather. On Friday, the Bobcats faced greens drowning in water, which made play difficult.

But the clouds cleared Saturday and the Bobcats were back on the course at 8 a.m. With the improved weather, Ohio was able cut 12 strokes off its first round total. The team shot 312 for 24-over-par.

Two Bobcats cracked the top twenty the individual standings, as freshman Hailey Hrynewhich and senior Kara Brinkman finished in a tie for 18th place overall. They each shot a two-round score of 159 for 15-over-par. Ovington is excited to see her players performing so well.

“It’s fantastic, and it is nice to see the whole team contributing. Success and confidence is contagious,” Ovington said.

After two strong weekends, the Bobcats will look to continue their success next weekend at the Dolores Black Falcon Invitational in Bowling Green.

ph553412@ohiou.edu

@PaulHolden33