Women's Golf: Ohio heads to Indiana for MAC Tournament

After traveling across the country to play on a wide variety of courses, Ohio women’s golf team will head to the Hawthorns Golf & Country Club this weekend to participate in its final meet of the year: the Mid-American Conference Tournament.

Last year, the Bobcats finished ninth out of as many teams and were 24 strokes away from eighth place.

But this year, more practice and experience should help the Bobcats improve their finish. Seniors Kara Brinkmann and Kristen Helmsdoerfer, as well as junior Julie Lechner will also return to another MAC Tournament and morale is high.

“I’m so excited. I love the Hawthorns course. It is such an awesome course so it is one of my favorites that we play,” Brinkmann said in an interview with Ohio Athletics.

Ohio competed at the Hawthorns Golf & Country Club in October at The Preview, where it finished sixth out of 16 teams. It was the Bobcats’ best finish on the course since 2010 and a five-spot improvement from the previous season.

In their most recent tournament, the Bobcats struggled and finished in last place in the Lady Buckeye Invitational last weekend. However, Ohio was able to use that experience to prepare for the MAC Tournament.

“I think the Scarlet Golf Course we just played is very challenging, as is the Hawthornes,” Lechner also said in an interview with Ohio Athletics. “We can try and use it as a learning experience for playing on a difficult golf course and do the best we can.”

That experience in Columbus helped the Bobcats by competing against a tough field containing some of the the nation’s top golfers.

Ohio has strong leadership from its seniors, as the duo is confident and ready for its final weekend.

“I’m so excited to get on the road and get there and see all our other friends that we have met through the MAC,” Brinkmann said. “It has been one of the best teams I’ve had in my four years.”

Helmsdoerfer agreed with Brinkmann and said she hopes to use her strong sense of leadership to help the team finish strong.

“Since it is the last tournament, (you) just gotta give it all you got (and) leave it all out there,” she said to Ohio Athletics.

Each round of the MAC Tournament will tee off at 8 a.m., starting with the first round Friday.

ph553412@ohiou.edu

@PaulHolden33