Athens City Council eyes new vehicles for fire department, public transit

City officials are en route to purchase a couple new vehicles in upcoming months, including a pumper truck that could be funded in part by Ohio University and an additional bus and minivan to be used by Athens Public Transit.

Athens City Council members said at their meeting Monday evening that the new pumper truck would replace a similar truck that the Athens Fire Department reported to be outdated. According to a previous

Post

article, the truck is about 20 years old.

The city would have to place their order for the new truck by July 31, Councilman Steve Patterson, D-at large, said.

The city is estimating that the pumper truck will cost more than $612,000, he added.

Patterson said the city will likely ask Ohio University to share a fraction of the cost for the new truck, following a collaboration the university and city did two years ago when they purchased a new ladder truck for $1.1 million.

At the time, city officials determined that it would be appropriate for the university to share in the costs due to the fact that 85 percent of four-story buildings or taller were a part of university property.

In 2014, 38 percent of reported fire incidents were made on university property, Patterson said. He added that in 2013, that number was 33 percent.

Patterson pointed out that these percentages only apply to property that is owned by the university, not other third-party rental units, such as nearby apartments that are being inhabited by Ohio University students.

The city also plans to purchase two public transit vehicles for the Athens Public Transit system: a “light transit” bus and a minivan, which will be used for non-traditional routes.

The total cost of these public transit vehicles will be around $100,000, Councilwoman Chris Knisely, D-at large, said.

Mayor Paul Wiehl said that the new vehicles will not match much of the rest of the fleet and will be able to to better navigate on hills.

“There’s something to be said for buying all the same type, but the downside to that is you lose a little versatility in the process,” Wiehl said.