A raspberry chai latte is one of the many drinks you can order at Donkey Coffee, located at 17 1/2 W. Washington St. in uptown Athens. (KATIE KLANN | FILE PHOTO)

Coffee: key ingredient for college student success

Students can look both off- and on-campus for some caffeinated “pick-me-ups” throughout the day.

There are four cafés located on Ohio University’s campus: The Front Room Coffeehouse, 4th Floor, Baker University Center; Café BiblioTech, Alden Library; South Side Espresso Bar, Nelson Commons, South Green; and OU-HCOM SAF Café, Academic & Research Center, West Green.

“Conveniently located across campus, each of our cafés is ready to serve its guests with a variety of menu options,” said Dan Pittman, assistant director of auxiliary sales for Culinary Services. “Best of all, each venue proudly accepts Flex Points and Bobcat Cash.”

Zach Finn, a 2014 Ohio University graduate who studied graphic design, said his friends often take advantage of using the allotted $225 in Flex Points in a Flex meal plan throughout the semester.

“Front Room is great for students to get coffee on the go, especially when they are trying to spend Flex Points,” he said. “Some of my friends have taken me to get something with them to help spend it all.”  

Among the list of uptown caffeine options are Court Street Coffee, 67 S. Court St. and Donkey Coffee and Espresso, 17 1/2 W. Washington St.

Due to the laid-back atmosphere and knowledgeable employees, Hayley Smith, a senior studying commercial photography, said Donkey Coffee is her favorite coffee shop.

“Donkey has a lot of different options and drinks that are specific to them,” she said. “My favorite drinks are mochas and iced coffee with vanilla.”

Some of the coffee shops also double as performance spaces. Front Room has open mic nights. Those who want to perform can sign up in a notebook that sits next to the fireplace in the days leading up to each open mic night.  Donkey Coffee hosts an Open Stage on Thursday nights, weekend shows and Designated Space, a weekly open mic night for spoken word, storytelling and poetry.

While a student at OU, Finn performed at Designated Space.

Finn agreed with Haley and said that Donkey Coffee was his favorite coffee shop as well.

“My favorite coffee shop is Donkey Coffee, for not only its quality coffee from fair trade, but also the great atmosphere the coffee shop has,” he said. “I spend school work and personal creative work time at Donkey.”  

ao007510@ohiou.edu

@thisisjelli