OUPD reports show burglaries, assault rates up this past semester

So your parents are hours away and you’re left awkwardly making small-talk with your roommate. Now what?

Before you head out to celebrate at Welcome Weekend blowouts or even just to hit the pavement on the bike path, there are a few things to do.

At the risk of sounding like your mom or dad, Ohio University Police Chief Andrew Powers said he’ll keep the advice simple: lock the door behind you.

According to police reports, 18 burglaries accounting for about $9,500 in stolen property were reported to OUPD in 2013. OUPD received 53 theft reports during Spring Semester 2014.

Powers said students — especially freshmen — can make themselves vulnerable to getting their stuff lifted by being too comfortable around the dorms.

Although OU is supposed to be your home away from home, he said, students should be vigilant about keeping valuables locked up.

“The main thing that’s very important is keeping their room door lock and keeping their possessions either with them or keeping them locked up,” Powers said.

Besides dorm rooms, Alden Library is another building where electronics and other valuables are commonly swiped.

“Theft is by far the most common offense that occurs in Ohio University,” Powers added.

Police data also show that seven reported assaults were called into the department last spring — about twice the amount compared to Fall 2013.

While students are out and about, they can immediately contact an OUPD dispatcher via campus blue-light terminals located throughout campus.

Also, keep yourself out of the police reports and keep drugs out of the dorms.

OUPD received 58 reports related to drug offenses during the spring 2014.

Possessing less than 100 grams of marijuana is considered a minor misdemeanor, according to Ohio law.

Peter Trentacoste, OU’s executive director of residential housing, said resident assistants sponsor a variety of programs related to health and safety that often involve education on drugs and alcohol.

There were 164 drug law violations referred to OU for disciplinary action in 2012, according to the 2013 Clery Report.

“If an RA is aware of drug activity, then they suspect a violation of law, they call a police officer to come and visit the room and investigate further,” Trentacoste said.

jl951613@ohiou.edu

@JoshuaLim93