Sydney Reck sits on the steps of Central Avenue church, 73 Central Ave. During the majority of her college years, Reck did not identify with a religion. She now is a leader for Young Life on campus and attends church weekly. (Hannah Yang | File Photo)

Students find security in faith during college

The religious and spiritual beliefs on Ohio University’s campus are as diverse as the students themselves. 

A variety of student organizations and religious centers exist in Athens to help accommodate those with particular beliefs. They also serve as learning centers for people who want to gather information about different religions. 

A common misconception is that students in college move away from faith, but a 2007 study conducted by the Social Science Research Council found that only 13 percent of four-year college students renounced religious affiliations. Though 64 percent of college students reported a decline in religious service attendance, 76 percent of those outside of college also reported a decline. 

The Muslim Student Association — housed at the Islamic Center of Athens, 13 Stewart St. — is an organization that seeks to provide a space for Muslim students and those interested in Islam to come together, said Omar Kurdi, a senior studying political science and global studies and vice president for the International Student Union. 

“(It also hopes) to educate the greater Athens and OU community about Islam,” he said. “(The MSA) can provide a venue for the students’ spiritual and material needs, and for students who are interested in Islam, the MSA is open to conversations, dialogues and discussions regarding Islam and are open to visitors most times of the day.” 

Hillel at OU is a student organization for both Jewish and non-Jewish students interested in learning about issues of social justice, religion, Israel and more, said Rabbi Danielle Leshaw, executive director of Hillel. 

Weekly Shabbat services are held Friday nights at Hillel, 21 Mill St. 

“University students are always welcome to be in touch to learn more about the Jewish religion,” Leshaw said. “We’re always around and love discussing everything from queer empowerment and the intersection of religious values to Israeli and Palestinian politics and especially how students can better serve their local and regional communities.” 

The Indian Students Association is a representation of students from India and all those who are interested in the Indian culture. It has organized activities such as Bollywood Dance Club and Color Festivals on campus, said Manindra Singh, communication director for the ISA and a doctoral student studying molecular and cellular biology. 

“Indian students on campus celebrate various religious festivals throughout the year, so word of mouth and making friends in the Indian community is certainly helpful to get a casual perspective about Hindu culture and Hinduism,” Singh said. 

There are a number of churches and Christian student groups serving Athens as well, such as Athletes in Action and Christian Business Leaders. 

Whether a student is already a believer or seeking faith, he or she is in good hands at OU, said Erin Tracy, a senior studying mechanical engineering and a Bible study leader for Cru. 

“(I) have grown so much in my walk with the Lord since joining freshman year,” she said. “Cru is committed to winning people to Christ, building them up in their faith and sending them out to share the good news with others. It’s a very comfortable environment for both new and old believers.” 

ao007510@ohiou.edu

@thisisjelli