Members of St. Paul Christ the King church celebrate after putting a roof on their home for the night at Carboard City to raise money for Habitat for Humanity. SETH ARCHER | FILE PHOTO

Students give time to help, volunteer around Athens

Whether you want to pad your resume, give back to the community or knock out some court-ordered service hours, Athens has a number of volunteer opportunities for Ohio University students.

The Campus Involvement Center, located on the third floor of Baker University Center, provides many opportunities for students to get involved with the community.

Barb Harrison, assistant director for off-campus living and community service, said OU provides several resources for students interested in volunteering.

Being that Athens County is one of the most impoverished in the state, Harrison said it’s ex- pected for students to help out in any way they can.

“OU has a responsibility to create a structure for the school to give back, and that is what we are trying to do,” Harrison said.

Campus Involvement provides different service opportunities every week through various Athens organizations as well as a calendar of opportunities on their website. Transportation is usually provided to off-campus organizations.

The OU Volunteer Community Service Street Fair will be held Sept. 16 at Baker and is intended to help students find volunteer opportunities in the city and county, Harrison said.

“Students here definitely want to give back, and Athens is such a wonderful place for students to learn what it is to be a leader in the community,” Harrison said.

There are several local organizations where students can volunteer their time. Some require a weekly commitment from students, while others can be one- time service opportunities.

Students can volunteer to be a “big” at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Athens County, 449 E. State St., where a student would be responsible for organizing at least two activities each month to bond with his or her “little.” “Bigs” can meet with their “littles” anywhere the parents and match decide to travel.

Community Food Initiative, 94 Columbus Rd., is a grassroots organization that helps provide equal access to fresh, healthy food. A semester commitment of 2-8 hours per week is prefered for assisting the donation station, community garden or school garden.

Volunteers are welcome to help with exhibitions, work study and host galleries at The Dairy Barn Arts Center, 8000 Dairy Ln., located near The Ridges.

For more information about service opportunities provided through OU, email Harrison at harrisob@ohiou.edu, or visit http://www.ohiou.edu/involve- ment/communityservice.

@DINAIVEY

DB794812@OHIOU.EDU