Editorial: Students should take advantage of visits from political candidates

With the November election now fewer than 10 weeks away, we would like to remind students of the importance of meeting with candidates who stop by Athens.

State Sen. Nina Turner, D-Cleveland and a candidate for Ohio secretary of state, took a four-hour tour through the city Tuesday to meet with citizens and push her platform as she hopes to unseat incumbent Republican Jon Husted.

About 60 people attended Turner’s event at The Pigskin Bar and Grille. That turnout isn’t bad, especially given the fact that a 2012 event featuring Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, drew an estimated crowd of 40 people. Paul could very well end up being our next president.

But given how Ohio University students show up in droves to any event featuring free food or trinkets, we can do better.

Over the next few months, candidates for governor, attorney general, auditor and both the state and U.S. house of representatives will likely be rolling through town, and it is of the utmost importance for students to go out and meet them when given the chance. We challenge you to attend as many events as possible — even if you sit in the back and keep to yourself.

It seems elementary — it is, really — but it is our duty to become informed voters so we can elect candidates that will prioritize policy that is important to us such as student loan inflation and the rising cost of tuition, to name a couple.

At the end of the day, we — like the candidates — want our voices to be heard. They tour the state to spread their message, sure, but they also value hearing from their prospective constituents. The least we can do is take them up on their invitation.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post's executive editors.