Cassie Fait, AfterTaste Columnist

Cassie Fait 

is a senior studying journalism and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @foodiefait and Instagram at @cassiefait.

AfterTASTE: Food apps helpful for searching, waiting, tipping and cooking

Handheld devices make the food world even more reachable.

Handheld devices make the food world even more reachable. Food apps add a new level of connection to the trending food movement. However, not all of the apps are user friendly and many are a waste of data. I’ve listed my top six food apps to help you in the kitchen or find a place to eat.

Yummly: Hands down the best recipe search engine app. Instead of kitschy, bland recipes like you see on Pinterest, Yummly provides comprehensive, clever recipes with delectable photos. Recipes range from ornate preparations to basic steps. A simplistic user interface combined with useful features, such as shopping lists and favorites known as “Yums.” Yummly can also be synced to its website for even more features.

NoWait: I have experienced that awful two-hour wait because a restaurant refuses to allow reservations or call ahead seating. NoWait allows diners to place themselves in line when located a few miles away from the destination. Users can see how many people are in line and the estimated wait time. Popular restaurants such as Texas Roadhouse, Burgatory and Hofbrauhaus utilize the app.

Tip Calculator with bill splitter: Many tipping calculators are confusing and not user friendly. But this app loads quickly without maddening advertisements. Tip Calculator sports a bill splitter along with choosing the tipping percentage at a quick pace.

Find Near Me:  This app allows users to pick specific categories, such as bar, coffee, food, grocery and pizza. Similar apps, like NearByMe, only offer the word “food” as a search option. Find Near Me shows search results on a map or a list. Through Google, the app displays reviews, basic information and directions. The only downside are the pop-up ads, but you can purchase an ad-free version for $1.99.

OpenTable: After turning on your smartphone’s GPS locator, the app locates restaurants in the area with availability. OpenTable also can search for specific areas with open time slots. The only kink in the system is the restaurant must be signed into the system. Users receive reward points when booking with OpenTable.

Escoffier Cook’s Companion: This app is my favorite sous chef. The app contains a converter, timer, ingredient glossary and equipment glossary. The converter not only adjusts the measurements, but also will also alter half, third and quarter measurements. The glossaries show photos and outline usage and specs.

Cassie Fait is a senior studying journalism and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Email her at cf301411@ohio.edu or find her on Twitter at @foodiefait and Instagram at @cassiefait.