Company that owns the Messenger acquires the Athens NEWS

The Messenger and the Athens NEWS are now under the same ownership.

Two of Athens’ newspapers are now under the same ownership.

Adams Publishing Group, LLC announced their acquisition of the Athens NEWS, an alternative newspaper published twice a week,on Wednesday. APG Media of Ohio adds the Athens NEWS, previously owned by Bruce Mitchell and Guy Philips, to eleven other holdings, including the Messenger.

Eight of these publications are paid distribution papers and three are free, controlled distribution publications, according to a release Wednesday from APG Media of Ohio. The Athens NEWS will continue as a free distribution publication, according to the release.

The release said the acquisition allows the group to “further diversify and strengthens its holdings in Southeast Ohio.”

In the release, Mitchell and Phillips called the acquisition “ a great fit that will ensure both the editorial independence and long term job security for a great group of employees at the Athens NEWS.”

“They’re looking to keep the papers separate and competitive,” Mitchell said in an interview.

Mitchell added that APG will retain all Athens NEWS employees and keep the two offices separate. The Athens NEWS will maintain its office on Court Street, while the Messenger will continue operating from its facility on Johnson Road in The Plains.

Jane Means, publisher at the Athens NEWS, will continue in her role in wake of the acquisition, according to the release.

Those on each side of the acquisition maintain that the integrity of each paper will stay intact.

“We believe that the products have two separate identities and are two distinct brands, and we plan to continue that,” said APG Media of Ohio president Monica Nieporte.

Nieporte also serves as publisher of the Messenger.

She said the Athens NEWS will continue to serve as an alternative publication while the Messenger will continue to serve as a source for traditional daily news.

Nieporte claimed the acquisition is a great opportunity to grow advertising at both publications, which will operate independently of each other.

“The intent is for readers to have unique content in each, and for our marketing partners to be able to reach the Athens area market as a whole by promoting to both audiences,” Nieporte said.

@xx14noraxx

nj342912@ohio.edu