Editorial: OUPD keeps campus safe for students

Ohio University Police Department keeps this campus safe for students, even more than students know. 

Ohio University Police Department released its annual Clery Report on Friday, an important document that some students might not be aware of. 

The 35-page report details the department’s makeup, crime prevention, reporting practices and disciplinary procedures, among other public-security matters. It gives three years of context and includes information about each of OU’s regional campuses.

The reports are in line with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which requires all colleges and universities that offer federal financial aid to publicize information about their crime rates.

Reports of sexual assault, and liquor and drug violations, dropped from 2012 to 2013, according to the document.

The onus is on students to be engaged with their campus community and understand the resources and procedures that are in place for their benefit. 

We’re not saying that every student should comb through the Clery Report at length — students already have enough assigned reading — but we encourage everyone to be aware of what OUPD is doing to protect the campus.

Chances are, you’ll learn something.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.