Editorial: Update in city’s law will affect Athens party scene

As we reported last week, Athens officials have suggested a change to the party laws in town. We believe the proposed update to Athens’ nuisance party ordinance is one that will prove fair for students.

As we reported last week, Athens officials have suggested a change to the party laws in town. We believe the proposed update to Athens’ nuisance party ordinance is one that will prove fair for students.

The proposal would change a violation of Athens’ nuisance party ordinance — which aims to crack down on exceedingly raucous parties — from a misdemeanor to a civil offense. It would also raise the fine for such an infraction from $150 to $250.

In addition, the proposal would give officers more leeway to arrest partygoers who are refusing the leave the party or are being particularly belligerent.

Now, while we suspect the revised ordinance may lead to police officers enforcing the law more diligently because they will be handing out fines rather than criminal charges, the notion that party hosts could no longer be held criminally responsible for an overzealous party is an idea we can get behind.

We believe fines are a far more reasonable punishment than criminal charges for throwing an overly rowdy party. We believe authorities seek a good balance between issuing fines that are manageable for students, yet pose a significant cost for the disturbances caused by their nuisance-level parties. A $250 charge is more than a slap on the wrist, especially for many penny-pinching college students.

Ultimately, we think the fine is a small price to pay when compared to a criminal charge. That’s not to mention the impact such a charge could have on a student’s job prospects.

About officers having the green light to arrest those resisting their orders to leave a party, well, we believe this is an avoidable ordeal — so long as partygoers comply with the police when told to exit a party.

Add in the notion that this revision will end authorities’ attempts to craft a social-host ordinance, and we believe these developments are a major victory for students looking to avoid getting in trouble while attending parties in Athens.

The proposal will be discussed during a series of Athens City Council meetings over the coming weeks, according to our Friday report, and there’s no immediate timetable as to when it could be on the books if approved.

In the meantime, we’ll keep you in the know about any updates.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the executive editors.