Freshman running back A.J. Ouellette breaks away during a touchdown run in Ohio's victory last Saturday against Eastern Illinois.

Football: Bobcats score victory over Panthers

Led by a pair of new starters, the Bobcats cruised to a 39-14 victory Saturday against Eastern Illinois.

Frank Solich said he felt concerned before Saturday’s game against Eastern Illinois began.

With his quarterback and running back making their first career starts behind three freshmen on the offensive linemen, he didn’t know what to expect.

Luckily for Solich, who is in his tenth season as Ohio’s coach, he didn’t have to worry too much once the game actually started.

A.J. Ouellette, a freshman running back, and JD Sprague, a redshirt sophomore quarterback, said they didn’t feel any different starting this week, as opposed to their role as reserves in weeks past.

The duo used their quickness and awareness to score four rushing touchdowns and help Ohio cruise to a 34-19 victory at Peden Stadium.

Ouellette carried the ball three straight times inside Eastern Illinois’ ten-yard line on the Bobcats’ first drive and eventually scored a touchdown after the Panthers drove downfield and kicked a field goal to begin the game.

He entered this week as the team’s leading rusher and was the only running back to carry the ball in the first half. Solich said because running backs tend to find a groove, he didn’t want to mess with the freshman’s mindset.

Eastern Illinois (1-4) began the second quarter in Ohio territory and its quick-paced offense was had driven down the field trying to cut their 11-point deficit. However, the Panthers ended up turning the ball over on downs.

On the first play of the Bobcats’ ensueing drive, Ouellette found a hole in the defense and ran 65 yards for his second touchdown, giving the Bobcats all the momentum they needed.

“It’s just something I read,” Ouellette said. “The guy I read told me to go backside and I guess they had a defensive breakdown and no one was in that hole.”

He eventually left the game with a rolled ankle and didn’t return for precautionary reasons. He finished with 87 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Sprague completed seven of eight passes in the first quarter, but his ability to scramble held more worth than his passing Saturday.

He also rushed for a pair of touchdowns, including the Bobcats’ final score of the day in the third quarter. Sprague found a gap in the line, weaved through multiple Panthers defenders from the right hash marks to the left side and eventually found a path to the end zone.

“I didn’t really think I was going to score, honestly,” he said. “It was nice to see (guys picking up blocks) and just kinda happened.”

Sprague wasn’t as impressed with his passing efforts, though. He said his first collegiate start was “very average” and was upset with himself for throwing a pair of interceptions.

“I’m disappointed in myself, but I’m happy for a team win,” Sprague said. “Our offensive line did a great job all game, so it was good to get in a rhythm early.”

Sprague didn’t play the fourth quarter, as Solich elected to grant fellow redshirt sophomore quarterback Greg Windham some playing time. The game also seemed to hit a lull during the second half, as Ohio struggled to regain its offensive rythym and both teams committed penalties.

Despite Saturday being their first starts, Ouellette’s and Sprague’s early efforts were all the Bobcats needed to win consecutive games for the first time this season and get above the .500-mark.

“Felt like every other game, I guess,” Ouellette said. “Still feels like I’m playing football.”

@chadlindskog

cl027410@ohio.edu