Editor-in-Chief of The Post

From The Editor's Desk: Emails pour in on daily basis

Readers have submitted, by my count, 46 letters to the editor since the beginning of the academic year.

I’ll be the first to admit that an influx of email usually leads to stress, skipped meals, late replies and even later nights at the office.

The frequency with which I have heard from our readers via email, however, has left me more than pleased. Readers have submitted, by my count, 46 letters to the editor since the beginning of the academic year. That’s more than two per publication day — a pretty impressive rate for so early in the academic year.

I urge you to keep writing us.

Your voices make our opinion section a true marketplace of ideas. The Post is, after all, the independent student voice on campus.

I would like to address a pair of concerns that readers have written me about in regard to letters to the editor:

A small number of readers have contacted us to express disappointment about letter submissions that were not published in a timely manner or not published at all. There are several possible explanations for the error. The most likely missteps: a reader sending his or her letter to an outdated email address or a Post editor accidentally overlooking the email in our shared inbox.

A reader wrote to me last week saying that she was disappointed that some letters to the editor were flagged as “editor’s picks” on our website, while others were not labeled as such. I agree, and responded as such: “We were wrong to classify one particular letter to the editor as an editor’s pick. It not only gives one particular opinion more prominence on our website but also exudes the appearance that The Post is endorsing the letter-writer’s point of view. That, in any case, isn’t true.” It is our policy to no longer label letters as editor’s picks.

The Post’s top editors take great pride in our opinion section, and we will continue to work diligently to provide a respected platform for free speech.

Please let us know how we’re doing; your opinions are important to us, and they keep our inbox interesting.