Sophomore womens golf player Hailey Hyrnewich of Muskegon, Michigan will start off the season after finishing in the top ten in three stright summer tournaments. Last spring, Hyrnewich finished in 10th place overall in the MAC championship.

Golf: Country Club offers a whole new playing field for Ohio

Although Ohio has a course on campus, the Men and Women’s teams travel to Athens Country Club.

“It’s the golf life.”

That’s how sophomore Katy Ho expressed her feelings about practicing at nearby Athens Country Club on a regular basis.

Tucked away in a quiet neighborhood about five miles south of campus, is where the  nine-hole, 3,132 yard course, resides.

The course doubles as the practice facility for both the men and women’s golf teams.

Although there is already a course on campus — specifically on South Green — coach Kelly Ovington and her team are very grateful for the opportunities that the Club offers them.

“Athens Country Club has been amazing for us, and the staff has been outstanding in working with us,” Ovington said. “The practice facility here is fantastic … (the course) is in good shape and it is rarely busy.”

The country club’s facilities provide many unique opportunities for the team to work on aspects of its game that it isn’t able to perfect at the Ohio University Golf Course.

Ovington says the main reasons they chose to practice there is because of the conditions and the availability of the course. The layout is also similar to many courses they play throughout the season.

Members of the women’s team share their coach’s gratitude for the course, and some treat the course as way to relax and focus on their game without the distractions of campus.

“It is kind of nice to get a break from campus,” sophomore Jessica McRae said. “It is almost like you are coming here to relax — almost like a stress reliever.”

The country club’s staff is also excited when the team practices there. General manager and golf professional Greg Moore has spent time with the golfers and says that hosting the teams is a “win-win for both,” as members have the chance to get to know the players and play alongside them.

“They come up and practice and play and our members enjoyed having them,” Moore said. “(A couple weeks ago) they played a nine-hole scramble with some of our members; they enjoyed it.”

Moore has been a three-time member of the Professional Golf Association’s Presidential Council on growing the game. The council recognizes PGA professionals, like Moore, who commit themselves to positively affecting the game by hosting programs for adult golfers that focus on their development. 

Moore uses his knowledge to help the team when he can.

“I try to be around to help them. I enjoy interacting with them,” Moore said. 

Interactions with the staff and the pristine course conditions make it easy for the team to make the journey and they consider themselves lucky that they get the opportunity to have this access.

“I feel pretty lucky to come out here, they have a beautiful course,” senior Julie Lechner said. “The staff and the members are really welcoming to us and treat us so nicely.”

@PaulHolden33

ph553412@ohio.edu