Provided via Alert Athens County

Hocking College student missing upon release from health facility

Charles Cane, a 21-year-old Hocking College student has been missing since Saturday.

The Nelsonville Police Department is looking for Charles Cane, a missing 21-year-old last seen Saturday after being released from a mental health facility in Athens. 

Cane is 5’10” and 168 pounds, according to a release from Alert Athens County. He is a black man with black dreadlocked hair and wears glasses. Cane was last seen wearing tan cargo pants and a green shirt with “Life is Good” printed on it. Cane was also wearing a walking boot on his right foot.

Although he currently is a student at Hocking College, none of his instructors have seen or had any contact with Cane, according to a NPD police report.

The police report indicates that Cane may head to Michigan or Yellowstone National Park, where he told one person he wanted to find a job.

Police describe Cane as at risk because he was admitted to the Respite Center at Tri-County Mental Health and Counseling Services after sharing suicidal thoughts with his roommate, Justin Sanford, from Sept. 17 through 19.

When Sanford went to the center to visit Cane on Saturday, workers told him that Cane had been released earlier that day.

At the time of his release, Margaret Sterling from Respite said Cane was released because he showed no signs of being suicidal and even made comments about his future. 

The day earlier, Sanford received multiple calls from Cane trying to obtain his birth certificate and Social Security card.

After Cane was released from Respite, according to the police report, he called someone named Thairon Stanley.

Cane said that if Stanley didn’t help him find a shotgun, he was going to kill himself. According to the report, Stanley told Cane he did not have access to firearms and Cane responded by saying he was “done with everything.”

Those with any knowledge of Cane’s whereabouts are encouraged to call Nelsonville Police Department at 740-753-1736.

jf311013@ohio.edu