Meg Omecene is a junior studying strategic communication and the public relations director for The Post. Email her at mo403411@ohio.edu

In The Know With Meg O: Libraries not on the outs in the States

A Pew Research study published this week reports that libraries are not, in fact, dying.

The study finds that Millennials are just as likely to have visited a library in the past year as their older counterparts and, additionally, are more likely to have visited a library’s website.

The study also reports that how Americans use libraries is just one part of a broader social view. According to the report, “As a rule, people who have extensive economic, social, technological and cultural resources are also more likely to use and value libraries as part of those networks. Many of those who are less engaged with public libraries tend to have lower levels of technology use, fewer ties to their neighbors, lower feelings of personal efficacy and less engagement with other cultural activities.”

In short, those who go to the library may be more engaged and involved citizens.

While I am happy to read these findings, I’m pretty shocked.

When I was younger, I went to the library every week to check out books and movies (and to sneak a peek at People Magazine … I was such a rebel), but I rarely have gone since I got a Kindle for my 17th birthday.

I am an independent bookstore’s least favorite person. While I used to be an avid bookstore-goer (though it wasn’t independent, I cried actual tears in high school when the Borders by my house announced they were going out of business), when I got a Kindle, I just didn’t go anymore.

However, my mom goes to the library almost once a week and just picks up a book that looks interesting to her. I haven’t done that in years. I figure that I should be up to date on bestsellers if I want to talk to any of my peers about a book we read for pleasure.

I love being recommended a book, reaching into my backpack, typing it in and clicking pay. I could start reading a book days earlier than I used to, but I totally bought into the instant gratification that Amazon and other e-reader services provided, even though I was aware that it was being criticized as consumer censorship.

So here is a shameless plug: visit your local library if you go home this weekend, and if not, stop by the Athens Community Library and pick out a book that looks interesting, not just the current number one book on Amazon. Apparently, that will make us a whole lot more engaged with the world around us.