Nowstalgia

Nowstalgia: “Pokemon” encompasses everything a young child could ask for

Last week, I mentioned some of the most popular voices in the 90’s cartoon world. This week, I am selecting certain shows done by each voice actor (or actress) to reminisce upon.

Ash Ketchum from “Pokemon”, voiced by Veronica Taylor, is one of the leading cartoon figures from the 90’s. Funny, courageous, loyal to a fault, Ash is a respected role model for young kids, and “Pokemon” is certainly one of the most popular cartoons of that time. Even today, the show still airs with new seasons and kids of all ages are falling in love with the series in one way or another.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with “Pokemon,” allow me to recap: Young kids leave home with a mutant animal companion and begin their quest to defeat all of those trainers who also have mutant animal companions and who are above them in skill. Said companions battle to determine the stronger trainer. Friends and enemies are made along the way and shenanigans ensue. In short, it’s a kid-friendly and imaginative show that has a certain charm that everyone can enjoy.

For those of you who are familiar with the show, isn’t it great? The Pokemon are incredibly creative in design and personality, and the show somehow manages to aim itself at kids and teach the values of love and friendship while still appealing to an audience of both boys and girls. A lot of boys probably wouldn’t like a show that teaches about love and kindness, but if it’s coupled with cool monsters that fight to prove their loyalty to their trainer, then it’s got to be pretty cool! I would say that it works the same way but in reverse for girls, but that isn’t quite true since I loved the show for the battles. The messages about friendship were just added bonuses.

Though the creatures are the main part of “Pokemon,” Ash Ketchum’s character makes the series that much more lovable. There’s a good reason he’s been the only protagonist for the show since its debut almost 20 years ago (it’s hard to believe it’s been that long!). He’s likable and relatable (as relatable as a boy who catches mutant animals and uses them to battle strangers all over the world can be) and kids can easily look up to him without having parents worry about the lessons they learn from him. Additionally, the show is just colorful and fun.

“Pokemon’s” first season is on Netflix, and follows the journey of Ash, his best buddy Pikachu, and his two other friends, Misty and Brock. If anyone wants to get into the show, I promise you, it won’t be a waste, and for anyone who wants to reconnect with their inner child, I highly recommend starting here.