Artist and photographer Kari Gunter-Seymour holds her piece "Barbie Falls on Hard Times #5," one of 30 pieces Gunter-Seymour has created for her photographic essay portraying the famous glamor doll in chaotic and frenzied situations, visually creating the understanding that glamor doll “beauty” need not be the gauge by which women judge themselves, their bodies and their life situations.

OU Women’s Center hosts Barbie art exhibit

The Women's Center hosts a photo exhibit exploring the image of Barbie dolls. 

We live in a world today where, sadly, girls are expected to act and look a certain way. Keri Gunter-Seymour sees this as an opportunity to shine a light on the many unrealistic views of women with a photo essay exhibit titled “Barbie Falls on Hard Times, The Sequel,” which opened on Sept. 13th at the Ohio University Women’s Center.

The exhibit follows just two years after the first installation in 2012. The exhibit will show black and white photos of Barbie staged in different, real life situations women tend to go through. Gunter-Seymour focuses mostly on promoting better body image and self- esteem, which many young girls can benefit from.

She wants women to stand against the image and beauty standards set for them and realize they need to find the beauty in themselves.  

“Often times, we are competitive with each other instead of cultivating each other and holding each other up and helping them do well,” Gunter-Seymour said.

Barbie is an iconic figure in pop culture and everyone had different opinions about the doll growing up, including Sarah Jenkins, program coordinator of the Women’s Center.  

“It's intriguing that it's centered around this doll that I certainly thought was perfect,” Jenkins said. “I think it will probably bring up memories for people experiences that they've had with barbie, or related to barbie, and I think it makes it very relatable, something that we all can identify with on some level. … I think it will be really fun seeing barbie in this new light.”

Although the exhibit is already open, an Opening Reception will be held Friday, from 4 p.m. - 6 p.m. at the Ohio University Women’s Center.  

@jenniferimel

ji760213@ohio.edu