Parents Weekend kicked off with a classic 'who dunnit?'

The “Mystery’s Most Wanted” acting group has returned to Athens again this year to put on their dinner theater show “Mobsters, Molls & Marinara” in the Baker University Center Ballroom to kick off Parents Weekend festivities in a sold-out show on Friday.

The lights dim on the stage — there’s something amiss. A murder has happened at the Black Sock Speakeasy, and it’s up to the audience to find out who did it. 

Whisking the audience back to the 1920s in Chicago, the show follows the mystery behind the murder of Vinnie V., the owner of the Black Sock Speakeasy, and four other suspects that have motives against him. 

The Pittsburgh-based acting group tours across the U.S. from Chicago to Lake Placid, New York, and many of the actors and actresses have been with the group for years, said Randy Oliva, the managing director of the group.

“One thing that is essential in hiring our performers is not only a strong background in character acting, but also a strong background in improv theater,” Oliva said. “The shows are all scripted but we leave room for improv with the audience.”

The audience definitely gets involved: Two audience members become characters in the show, getting a couple of lines and a chance to wear 1920s-era costumes. There’s also a part where the entire audience has a chance to interact with the show.

“We have been doing this dinner theater for the last four or five years,” Matthew Thomson, coordinator for Campus Programs at OU, said. “It’s always a successful event. We always sell out, so that’s why we keep on doing it.”

Thomson said that the dinner would be provided by Ohio University Catering with a salad, entrée and dessert provided throughout the show.

But the real question is — who made Vinnie V. sleep with the fishes? Oliva wouldn’t tell. 

“As far as who killed who?” Thomson said. “Well, you will have to join us on Friday to find out.”

@saxjuggler

ln509512@ohio.edu