Erin Fischer - Columnist

Post Secret: Unlatching the bra strap for a purpose

Erin Fischer discusses her view on going braless and what she wishes to see in the future regarding societies unspoken rules about women's articles of clothing.

If you’ve ever seen me around campus (I have curly red hair, a zebra print bag and am extremely short) you’ll probably notice that I’m braless. My nipples are most likely to be proudly on display and my breast shape visible.

Going sans bra seems to still be controversial, despite recent gains in body positivity — celebrities like Miley Cyrus and Rihanna are notorious for not wearing bras, and are shamed in the media. They’re viewed as trashy and indecent. Girls as young as 5 and 6 are wearing training bras and being sent the message that they have to hide their not-yet-existent breasts at all times.

This stigma against visible breasts is part of the reason I chose to go braless in the first place. It’s bullshit that people’s bodies, and usually women’s, are policed to such an extent that choosing to not hide the natural shape and form of your breasts is considered taboo.

At the same time though, you’ve probably noticed that breasts are extremely sexualized in our culture. You see boobs everywhere, all the time, but almost always in a sexual context. Think of all the ways breasts are used as a marketing tool — they’ve been used to sell everything from cologne to beer to cars. But you hardly ever see breasts as being used for what nature intended; feeding babies!

In fact, breastfeeding in public is actually illegal in some states, and even when it isn’t, there are countless cases of women who have been asked to leave public spaces because their breastfeeding is considered to be obscene. So we can tolerate breasts being used to sell things, but not to nourish children, their intended purpose?!

In short, our breasts aren’t considered to be our own, but always belonging to someone else, to be used for whatever exploitative purpose happens to be convenient.

Not only that though, but this constant voyeurism and cultural fear of breasts has created a stigma around breasts and nipples in particular. We’ve turned breasts into sexual objects in our society. Because of how afraid we are of sexuality, breasts usually fall into the category of “private parts.” Since they’re seen as being sexual first, they’re off limits for seeing (outside of sexualization of course). That’s why men can take their shirts off on a hot day and no one bats an eyelash but if a woman were to do it, she could be arrested. It’s a sexist double standard based in the objectification of women.

That’s why I choose to go braless; I want people to see that I view my body as my own, and do with it what I please. Breasts aren’t always as perky or sexy as the media might have you believe, and that’s OK! The stigma, mystery and pressure our culture places on my breasts are something I reject.

I want people to be able to see my nipples through my tank top and not think twice about it. I want to be able to one day walk down the street topless and not fear legal consequences. For me, this is a baby step in the right direction.

Erin Fischer is a senior studying women’s and gender studies. Email her at ef102312@ohio.edu