Gabby McDaris

Red, Blue & You: Protect and serve or use power and kill?

Questions of racial profiling and an abuse of power by the police were immediately discussed across the country.

“On my honor,
 I will never betray my badge, 
my integrity, my character 
or the public trust.
 I will always have 
the courage to hold myself
 and others accountable for our actions.
 I will always uphold the constitution
, my community and the agency I serve.”

This is the Oath of Honor for the International Association of Chiefs of Police and it has been questioned over the past few weeks in Ferguson, Missouri after unarmed black teenager, Michael Brown, was shot and killed by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson.

Protests began to pop up in support of Brown and against Wilson and the Ferguson Police Department with claims that Wilson racially profiled Brown and used excessive force.

But, as is true with most controversial events, there were protesters for both sides. Wilson began to gain supporters of his own who held rallies in favor of his actions along with an online fundraiser that has raised over $200,000 for Wilson and his family.

Instead of waiting until the trial is over and a proper ruling is made, these citizens already claim that Wilson is an innocent man who acted appropriately.

Granted, there is a good chance that that is possible, but there is also a good chance that he acted excessively, so much so that he took an innocent teenager’s life.

The problem is that everyone is basing what they perceive as the truth from assumptions and what has been taught to them from an early age: police officers are the good guys who are here to protect us from the bad guys. Because of this assumption, the common argument from Wilson supporters is, how come when a gang member shoots a teenager, the story doesn’t get as much press as when a police officer shoots a teenager?

The simple answer is because gang members are expected to kill and are expected to break the law. They are not sworn-in members of a police force, supposed to protect the public from harm.

It is important to understand that Brown supporters are also guilty of making assumptions of their own. They assume that because Brown was black, he was killed simply because of his race.

But time and time again, it seems as though young black males are being racially profiled and are losing their lives because of it. According to The Huffington Post, five unarmed black males have been killed by police in the last month alone.

As Americans, we put a lot of faith in the police, and for good reason. But there seems to be more of a need to have transparency.

The only thing anyone can be sure of is that Officer Wilson shot and killed Brown, and whether or not those were the appropriate steps that should have been taken is in the hands of a jury.

Brown was a teenager and teenagers are expected to and will make mistakes. Grown men who are entrusted with a badge and a gun are not afforded that luxury.

The police are expected to protect and serve, but as painful as it may be to admit it, sometimes they do the opposite.

Gabby McDaris is a freshman studying screenwriting. Email her at gm573913@ohio.edu