Second Stewart Street arsonist sentenced

The second man involved in the Stewart Street house fire this February was sentenced last week.

One of two men who turned themselves in after setting fire to a house on Stewart Street was sentenced to a diversion program Aug. 25 in Athens County Common Pleas Court.

Brian P. Manley, 19, of Clarence, N.Y., was sentenced by Athens County Common Pleas Court Judge L. Alan Goldsberry to serve in the Athens County Empowerment program, a community service-based organization, after pleading guilty to one count of trespassing in a habitation and two counts of possessing criminal tools, fourth- and fifth- degree felonies, respectively.

Manley also was ordered to pay $25,000 in restitution for damages to the building at 68 Stewart St., which they torched on Feb. 23.

Damages to the house were estimated to be as large as $250,000.

A previous Post article states that Manley was also cited by OUPD the morning of the fire for underage consumption of alcohol, a first-degree misdemeanor, and criminal trespassing, a fourth-degree misdemeanor.

His accomplice, Mark R. Norman, of Worthington, Ohio, pled guilty on July 2 to one count of trespass in a habitation while a person is present or likely to be present, fourth-degree felony, entered a diversion program and was ordered to pay $25,500 in restitution.

Both Manley and Norman were originally charged with aggravated arson and burglary, first- and second-degree felonies.

Manley and Norman both are listed as students on Ohio University's student directory.